Baseball has been long referred to as America's Pasttime. But since 1985 football has prevailed. The most recent Harris Poll shows that it doubles baseball. So this is a very sticky situation and could mean alot of companies and corporations are going to be hurt tremendously if there is no football season next year. One of the ones that will be hurt the most is DirecTV. According to Bloomberg news DirecTv's NFL Sunday ticket, which allows you to view every game that is played every week, generates more than 600 million dollars a year for this satellite company. If there are no games, there is no NFL Sunday Ticket. And with the introduction of U-Verse last year this could put DirecTV out of operation.
No NFL season also hurts other corporations. Fans are a huge part of revenue for the income of money. The ticket sales, along with souveneirs, and even hotel rooms produce big bucks. With no games, hotels that usually see a lot of business during the NFL season are preparing for lack of sales this upcoming year.
You may be asking yourself, why is this lockout happening? What is the problem? Well, the Players Association, who represent all the players of the NFL and the NFL are not getting along. They have roughly 9 billion dollars to split up and the players do not think that they are getting paid enough, and the NFL is not willing to pay more. The Players believe that they are in risk of harm, and deserve something in return. Yes, everyone in this situation is greedy. They are worrying about splitting up 9 billion dollars while people around the world are worrying about putting food on the table. In 2008 the NFL owners opted out of the Collective Bargaining agreement set in 2006, and played last year without a Salary Cap. So until they can reach a new agreement, we will have to scrape by without football. And these businesses that make most of their money during the year during the NFL season, will have to figure out a way to get revenue, or a way to make wage cuts.
Dear ProfessionalCorruption,
ReplyDeleteI'm a fan of football myself and understand what is going on in the league.I agree with you on this blog, because no football next year will make a lot of fans mad."They have roughly 9 billion dollars to split up and the players do not think that they are getting paid enough."This stood out in many reasons.I did not know they had 9 million to split between player.This does not make any sense at all, the players should be paid the right ammount for their jobs."One of the ones that will be hurt the most is DirecTV."This is so true, because if there is no football season then, the football packages and channels on direct tv will not be able to get bought. This can lead to money problems for the corporations.I will like to thank you for writing this blog about the lockout.If there is nothin done about this situation, there will be no National Football League next year.
House Finch
Dear Dustin,
ReplyDeleteI know I would be devastated if there was no football next season. Despite their previous season, I love my Dallas Cowboys and if I didn't get to see them play I'd be distraught.
I had no idea that DirecTV made so much money off of the NFL. That was mind-blowing to me. I had no idea they made that much in general so I can only imagine how much they make on top of the money they get from the NFL Sunday Ticket.
I totally agree with you that everyone in the situation is being greedy. These players make so much more than average people and they still don't think they're being paid enough. If they're doing something they love it shouldn't be about the money. I do think they should make a lot but if they can't happily split up 9 billion dollars there is an issue.
I really enjoyed this blog post, I had heard about the lock out a while ago but I didn't really know the details, thanks for writing about it!
Cardinal