Take Justin Bieber for instance. I may be walking on thin ice with all of the female readers right now, but that is a risk I am willing to take. I do not respect his music at all. I am not saying that he is not a talented artist. I know that he can play the guitar and the drums, and he does have a good voice, but the lyrics. I feel like his career has been prematurely blown up by his looks, and majority of his fans are girls between the ages of 12 and 18.
Listen to the song above, "Baby." The chorus is just him repeating the word "baby" over and over. Typical popular song today, catchy rhythm and a sing along chorus with shallow lyrics. It did not take much skill to create this song, nor many of the songs that he sings. I feel like this is a statement that applies to many of todays popular artists.
My blogs allude to a need for a revolution. So I chose my favorite artist singing a song by the name of REVOFEV, or Revolution of Evolution. Kid Cudi is, in my mind, one of the realest artists out there today. Every lyric to every one of his songs has meaning, and most of his music is about his life and struggles everyday people have to go through. I am not implying that he alone is the turn around for music today, but he could be the stepping stone. As he said in the video he is all about his fans, and how they have his back. He does not make music to impress people, he makes it so express himself, and if you like what he puts out then so be it, if you don't then again so be it. He is quoted saying in an interview that he sees music genres as, "races" and sees segregation between all of them just like human races. He says, "what I'm doing is trying to end the segregation between genres, and just fusion them together to make one super song, but do it to where it's appropriate." This statement goes along with what I am trying to get at.
5 words:
ReplyDeletethis blog hurt my feelings....
Dear, Dustin
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love where this blog is going. I totally agree with how songs now days are just catchy without the true core, lyrics. I know for me and millions of others music is something that we listen to every single day.
You stated, " It seems like the popular songs today, and the artists who make the most money are shallow." This quote really stood out to me because ever song that is on the top charts now day is catchy but doesn't really have good lyrics.
You also stated,"Listen to the song above, "Baby." The chorus is just him repeating the word "baby" over and over." this quote really stood out to me because this is a prime example of how songs are now days.
I really enjoyed reading your blog. I like that you talk about things that really apply to everyone. I will definitely be coming back for more.
Sincerely
Hummingbird,