Thursday, January 27, 2011
Professional Sports
Professional Sports as a whole have lost a lot of integrity. It just seems like no athlete today plays for the love of the game. No athlete seems to care about winning anymore. There is no hunger and thirst for victory, and an urgency to be the best you can be. All that matters is money, and everyone knows that. Back in the 80's and early 90's in the NBA you would have never heard about Larry Bird or Michael Jordan holding out on their contract. It would have been absurd and ruined their reputation. Nowadays it is a common thing. If a player wants more money, he doesnt mind missing a few games of the season to get that money. Look at Michael Crabtree, Wide Receiver for the San Francisco 49ers. His rookie season, he missed half of the season because he would not sign with the amount of money they were offering. His rookie season! It should be a privilege to play any sport professionally, and for you to be willing to throw that away, what most kids dream of, it is a disgrace to professional sports. The professional sport corporation is tainted, and there is no integrity in the game anymore. And I don't think there is anything we can do to stop it. The precedent has been set.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dear Dustin Jayroe,
ReplyDeleteI feel the same way about how players are losing their sincerity for the game. I see how its causing the professional sports to be more political instead of actually being a sport. You said, "Back in the 80's and early 90's in the NBA you would have never heard about Larry Bird or Michael Jordan holding out on their contract." This really stood out to me because that is so true that back in the day no player, all-star are rookie would have done that. This quote just goes to show how corrupt the sport is becoming. You also said, "There is no hunger and thirst for victory, and an urgency to be the best you can be." This also stood out for the fact you can turn on your T.V and watch a game, there not as competitive as they used to be. You can watch a game and basketball and what they call defense is a joke for what it was back in the day. This blog and your style of writing really appeals to me. I like the fact that you really looked into what the topic was about and brought that out in your blog. This blog will definitely keep me coming back.
Sincerely,
Hummingbird
Dear Dustin,
ReplyDeleteI can't agree more that the love of the game had faded away. We see so many athletes moving around, not staying loyal to their team just to get more money.
One thing in this post that really stood out to me was when you added that "the professional sport corporation is tainted, and there is no integrity in the game anymore." This is quite a bold statement. I wonder how many other people also believe this, and how they think it should be solved.
I completely agree with your quote "It should be a privilege to play any sport professionally, and for you to be willing to throw that away, what most kids dream of, it is a disgrace to professional sports." I only hope that others see this the same way you do. It would be so much better if the athletes showed a true love for such "Great American Pastimes", instead of the "Great American Paycheck." Whatever happened to the love of the game and the feeling of watching athletes put their hearts into what they love most.
Thanks for writing, and I look forward to reading more of your posts. I am anxious to see how you will develop the concept of how money is making our society go ground.
Happy blogging,
Baltimore Oriole
Dear Dustin,
ReplyDeleteFirst off, I've liked every one of your posts, but this one really stood out to me because of how true it is! I like that you firmly believe that it is wrong, and you let that be known. This subject is something that I've been questioning for a long time, because I actually have a friend who is a pro-baseball player, and he is always complaining about it.
"Look at Michael Crabtree, Wide Receiver for the San Francisco 49ers. His rookie season, he missed half of the season because he would not sign with the amount of money they were offering." This quote really stood out to me. I had no idea about this and thought it was absolutely crazy that someone who had just become a professional would act like that.
"Back in the 80's and early 90's in the NBA you would have never heard about Larry Bird or Michael Jordan holding out on their contract." This quote also stood out to me, because it is so true and I like that you mentioned those guys.
Thank you for posting this. I really like how you put so much of your feelings into your writing which will definitely have me reading more.
Sincerely,
Bonobo